Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Alliance 2014 Candidate Questionnaire
Dear Mr./Ms. _________
As a candidate for Congress, you've indicated your views on a number of issues facing voters. The Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA) would like to better understand your position on animal ownership, hunting, and fishing.
Over 37 million people hunted or fished in 2011. Licensed hunters alone contributed $38.3 billion dollars to the U.S. economy and $3 billion for conservation efforts from licenses, stamps, and taxes. Nearly 67 percent of all U.S. households own pets, including an estimated 95.6 million cats, 83.3 million dogs, 20.6 million birds, and 11.6 million reptiles. Pet spending reached $55.7 billion dollars last year. These citizens are under attack. Using the guise of animal welfare, groups such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) seek to eliminate or severely restrict many of our existing rights and traditions. Our members would like to learn more of your views of these animal rights organizations and their philosophies.
1. Do you own a dog, cat, or livestock?
2. Do you or does anyone in your family hunt with or without a dog? If so, what breed(s) of dog(s)?
3. Do you philosophically support or endorse the activities of any of the animal rights or animal protection organizations listed above?
4. Do you believe animals should remain classified as property under the law or be granted legal standing in the courts?
5. Do you support the states' rights to manage their indigenous wildlife populations and establish local hunting and fishing regulations without federal intervention?
6. Do you support the continued use of federal lands for recreational hunting, fishing and shooting?
7. Do you support ethical and essential use of animals for research?
8. For nearly two decades, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has actively lobbied for federal regulation to establish care standards for non-commercial, in-home breeder/sellers of dogs. In 2013 HSUS successfully petitioned USDA to expand regulation of sales for all pets which now includes inspecting many private residences. Do you agree or disagree that such regulation is a feasible responsibility of the federal government?
Your detailed responses will be held confidential. Candidate evaluations, with failures to respond noted, will be summarized and distributed to assist voters in determining which individuals they might support in the upcoming election. Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.
Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance