Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Alliance 2008 Questionnaire
Dear Mr./Ms. _________
As a candidate for Congress, you've indicated your views on a number of issues facing voters. The Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance (SAOVA) would like to better understand your position and feelings on animal ownership and the outdoor recreation sports of hunting and fishing. I should note that many candidates have benefited from SAOVA's endorsements since 2002. This requested response will determine our public position on your election contest.
About 13 million Americans are licensed hunters; about 35 million or over 10 percent of all registered voters are anglers; and 63 percent of all U.S. households own one or more pets. Collectively, these sportsmen and animal owners are expected to contribute $120 billion to the American economy in 2008, over 1% of GNP. These citizens are under attack. Using the guise of animal welfare, groups such as the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), and the Animal Legal Defense Fund (ALDF) seek to eliminate or severely restrict many of our existing rights and traditions.
SAOVA is a widely recognized, nationwide, non-partisan group of men and women involved in hunting, fishing, and animal ownership advocacy. I'm a SAOVA volunteer and our members would like to learn more of your views of and relationship with these so called "animal rights" organizations and their philosophies. Please take the opportunity to review and respond to this questionnaire so that your potential constituents may better know your positions on the important topics affecting us.
Kindly reply by XXX (date), if at all possible. If this date isn't feasible for you, please indicate when I may look forward to your response.
1. Do you or does anyone in your family hunt with or without a dog or own a dog?
If so, what breed(s) of dog(s)?
2. Do you philosophically support or endorse the activities of any animal rights or animal protection organizations? If so, please identify which organizations.
3. Have any animal rights or animal protection organizations endorsed you or made financial contributions to your campaign(s) for election? If so, please identify such organizations.
4. Are you familiar with legislative initiatives below? Would you support or oppose similar bills if you were to vote on them?
a) a. California’s proposed AB1634 mandating, with some exemptions, sterilization at six months for every dog and cat in the state of California and similar bills already enacted in Albuquerque, Louisville, and Los Angeles County and City.
b) b. S1139/HR2669, the federal Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS) 2005, a proposal to federally regulate retail hobby pet breeders, with particular reference to hunting, breeding, and security dog sellers; Sen. Richard Durbin attempted but failed to attach this as an amendment to the 2007 Farm Bill.
5. Do you believe animals should be given legal rights similar to humans?
6. Do you believe that animal owners should have their status as owners changed to the status of guardians?
7. Do you support the states' prerogatives to manage their indigenous wildlife populations and establish local hunting and fishing regulations without federal intervention?
8. Please describe in a few words your positions on
a) Hunting (with or without dogs)
c) Medical research using animals
d) Animal ownership (including livestock, pets, pet and livestock breeding, research animals, circuses and rodeos)
9. What actions have you taken in the past at the local, state, or federal level concerning animals or animal ownership?
10. Are there any sportsmen, animal-related or animal ownership issues on which you hope to take the initiative after you are elected?
Your detailed responses will be held confidential. Candidate evaluations, with failures to respond noted, will be summarized and distributed to assist voters in determining which individuals they might support in the upcoming election. Your much-appreciated timely reply can be e-mailed to the Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance at __________ You may also contact me at the same address with any questions. Thank you for your cooperation in this important matter.
Sportsmen's and Animal Owners' Voting Alliance
RETURN TO HOMEPAGE